Chemistry Question #1563

Dave, a 14 year old male from the Internet asks on September 8, 2003,

Hi, I am looking for a procedure that I can use for a science investigation. We are testing water for any metals and I am unable to find a procedure.

viewed 14523 times

The answer

Barry Shell answered on October 5, 2003

Our analytical chemist volunteer reports there is no simple way for a teenage student to do this. The problem is that the metals occur in very low concentrations that are only detectable by very expensive instruments. A quick websearch on "Water testing metals" shows that you can obtain cheap test papers for copper and maybe iron. Trace amounts of heavy metals will be much harder and much more expensive to find.

Add to or comment on this answer using the form below.

Note: All submissions are moderated prior to posting.

If you found this answer useful, please consider making a small donation to