Ethnobotanist and Infectious Disease Microbiologist: Dr. Elvin-Lewis is an expert on evaluating traditional medicines and their use.
"Remember to have patience for technology to catch up to you and your discovery."
- May 20, 1933
- Vancouver, British Columbia
- St. Louis, Missouri
- Family Members
- Father: Richard James Elvin
- Mother: May Winnefred Foster
- Spouse: Walter Lewis
- Children: Memoria; Walter H., Jr.
- Grandchildren: Florence, Lilian
- Sociable, patient, stolid, forthright
- Favorite Music
- American folk music
- Other Interests
- Gardening, antiques, family, travel, gourmet cooking
- Professor of Biomedicine In Microbiology and Ethnobotany
- Biology Department, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
- BA, UBC, 1952
- Medical Technologist, Pearson TB Hospital, Vancouver 1954/55
- MSc (Medical microbiology), University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1957
- MSc (Virology and Epidemiology), Baylor School of Medicine, Houston, 1960
- PhD (Medical microbiology), University of Leeds, Yorkshire, England, 1966
- Fellow of the Linnean Society of London, 1995
- Silver Medal, Mexican Academy of Traditional Medicine, 2001
Father, who encouraged her to understand science and medicine.
- Last Updated
- December 17, 2007