chemistry question #88

Nick Hiebert, a 23 year old male from the Internet asks on November 14, 1999,


Is there a substance known to science that reacts to electrical impulses by contracting or changing its density?

viewed 13662 times

the answer

Barry Shell answered on November 14, 1999, A:

There may be many such things. One thing I'm aware of are piezoelectric materials that do this: salts, ceramics, and plastics. The chief polymer used for this is Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF). If you do web searches on this, you will find much info. A good explanation can be found at

Add to or comment on this answer using the form below.
(required if you would like a response)
Note: All submissions are moderated prior to posting.
If you found this answer useful, please consider making a small donation to